Planning/urbanisation/building consent

Home / European Land Registry Network / Ireland / Planning/urbanisation/building consent

1.    Explain briefly what official permissions are needed in relation to buildings, and what authority grants them. Is permission needed for:

Permission is required for the erection of a building, in most cases alteration of a building unless to the rear of the property and of certain dimensions. For general information on planning see:

Applications should conform to the area’s development plan and the local authority may be consulted in advance of submission of an application for planning.

2.    Are buildings of a certain age exempt from any of these requirements?

Certain buildings of historical importance are listed and details of listed buildings held by the local authority (special areas of conservation and national heritage) are available from the local authority in the area in which the property is situated.

3.    Is official permission needed for the use to which land or buildings are put?

Yes, depending on the zoning of the land.

4.    How does one discover whether the necessary permissions exist? Is it recorded in the land register, cadastre or some other register?

Enquiries are made on the planning register in the local authority and other registers held by it.

5.    Are additional permissions needed in particular geographical areas? How does one discover whether a property is in such an area? Is it recorded in the land register, cadastre or some other register?

6.    Are there additional requirements for permission to alter or demolish certain buildings because of their age or architectural or historic value? How does one discover that such additional requirements exist? Is it recorded in the land register, cadastre or some other register?

A protected structure is a structure that a planning authority considers to be of special interest from an architectural, historical, archaeological, artistic, cultural, scientific, social or technical point of view. The owner or occupier of a protected structure is legally obliged to prevent it becoming endangered whether through damage or neglect. See Part IV of the Planning and Development Act 2000.

A structure must be listed on the planning authority’s Record of Protected Structures (RPS) to qualify for protected status under the Act. Each planning authority is obliged to keep a RPS as part of their development plan. For more see:

The RPS must include every structure in its area which the planning authority considers to be of special interest. Details can be acquired from the relevant local authority. National monuments which attract state protection under the National Monuments Act may include the land surrounding the monument and there is provision to register a burden pursuant to the Acts on the register.

This site uses cookies to offer your a better browsing experience. Find out more on how we use cookies and how you can change your settings.